Monday, September 30, 2013

Do we have any bug spray...?

So, a few weeks ago I was calmly and quietly sitting on my bed when I noticed a giant spider crawling towards me on the wall. It wasn't a tarantula, but it was huge! I'm talking giant size...the biggest spider I've ever seen in real life. And if you know me, you know that I'm afraid of spiders. Well, thankfully in the midst of my not so small freak out, Shelley came in, killed the spider, and saved the day. The girls have enjoyed pretending to see spiders around me just for the reaction. Well, since that time we've had several other little visitors. My roomate nonchalantly asked if we had any bug spray the other day. Upon further questioning I realized she meant spray to kill bugs (a.k.a. the giant spider living in our screened door to the back porch). Unfortunately he was a good hider and got away. We have yet to see him resurface, and I'm praying he found a new home. This picture is of a spider we found today and is a baby compared to the granddaddy of them all that first came to visit. Considering the number of encounters we've had and the size of these things, I think the Lord is trying to teach me to appreciate His creation and get over my fear!


Meet Mariana: This is a picture of Hannah and I with our new friend Marianna. She is 17 and is neighbors with our supervisor. We were able to get together last week and help her practice English. It was so awesome to get to know her and share our faith with her. The Lord is clearly stirring in her heart and we have planned to incorporate some Bible study into our weekly intercambios (exchanges where we help her with English and she helps us with Spanish). I'm so excited about getting to know her better and for having the opportunity to study the Word with her! Please be praying that the Lord works in mighty ways through this opportunity!


This past Thursday was Hannah and mine's 2nd day to help in the clinic in our village and we were the only nurses. The doctor's name is Iveth and she was so patient and helpful to us. She helped us organize the order of seeing patients and pull charts, and then we were basically on our own while she saw patients. The Lord was so good to us and it went so well! Praise Him! We were able to communicate with all the patients, take all of their vital signs, give some shots, and assist them with their questions. It was such good practice for my Spanish, and I even learned a few indigenous words!


Saturday was a real treat! We took two of our indigenous friends, Rosa and Raquel, to the movie theater. It was our first time to the movies here in Mexico and it was their first time to the movie theater EVER! They were so cute and giggled throughout the entire movie. We watched a Mexican film in Spanish and it was encouraging to see how much more Spanish I understand now than I did before I came. I'm so grateful for all that the Lord is teaching me through this experience including the language.


On Sunday, before church, I took stitches out of Hopey's head...with a Swiss army pocket knife! No joke! I feel like I've been officially welcomed in to medical missions! Hopey is the 3 year old daughter of one of my field contacts and she is absolutely precious!


The Lord has been doing some big things in my life personally this week. He has been showing me how to more fully trust in Him in so many different ways but particularly with His sovereign plans. I've been reminded that my job is to be obedient in proclaiming truth and making disciples. It is the Holy Spirit who saves and there is nothing I can do to save anyone. He doesn't need me at all and it is an incredible privilege that He chooses to use us for His kingdom purposes. I have also been learning to desire whatever is going to give the Lord the most glory..no matter what it is. At the end of the day He is all I have. A.W. Tozer said, "The man who has God for his treasure has all things in One. Many ordinary treasures may be denied him, or if he is allowed to have them, the enjoyment of them will be so tempered that they will never be necessary to his happiness. Or if he must see them go, one after one, he will scarcely feel a sense of loss, for having the Source of all things he has in One all satisfaction, all pleasure, all delight. Whatever he may lose he has actually lost nothing, for he now has it all in One, and he has it purely, legitimately and forever."

No comments:

Post a Comment